Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Bubble Run :: 5K'in it up!!


It's 5K Time! 


This weekend I am running in "Five Kilometers of Frothy Goodness" at the behest of my coworkers aka these crazy ladies (and a few more not seen here): 






Awkwardly enough, I already ran in a 5k in Brooke's stead. The Electric Run. Starts @ 10pm & you wear glow sticks - and other brightly lit devices - while running through different light displays. It was awesome, but a little trippy. People got REALLY into it and at 11:45pm when we finally left Portland International Raceway, the event had turned into an all out rave. Good times.  


I have been meaning to blog about this event (and the fact that I did a 5k) for a while, but never got around to it. I think I stopped caring about running a 5k somewhere along the way. Because of that, I've been pondering why it's even on my list in the first place. I've concluded that initially, in my mind, an "official" 5k was a big deal. I have never ran in a "real" race before. I included this in my list, I believe, as a way to "throw myself a bone". That if a half-marathon got too daunting, at least I'd have run a 5k in some sort of official capacity and done something new.

But the 5k challenge proved easier than originally planned and I had nothing to fear - two days before the electric run, I ran an 8k downtown with my friends. Running 5 plus miles was a breeze, so I knew I needed to press on towards bigger and better things. 


The Half Marathon is the real goal for me. But it's awesome to have benchmark accomplishments along the way.

And it's fun to share those accomplishments with people you enjoy and to celebrate them in an official way. I am stoked to be running with my coworkers and a dear housemate of mine! We will have a ball and create many awesome memories as well. 

As of right now, I am running 19 miles a week and getting ready to bump it up to 21 next week! I have three weeks until my half marathon weekend in Seattle and the training for it is changing me with each step I take. Lessons abound. Lessons, I hope to share soon. With each new task I face, I become a different woman. Lord willing, a better woman. It's been awesome to approach my every day with a "bucket list" mentality. It makes the blunders less painful and the trying all the more magical. I believe it's how we always should be.

Pictures from the Bubble Run coming up...! Should be pretty amusing. ;)

Love,
H :: 

No comments: