Wednesday, October 9, 2013

IT'S RACE WEEK!!!

I AM RUNNING MY HALF MARATHON THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!

This is a HUGE item to cross off my list and I can't wait for it!! Training for this half marathon has been an incredible thing. I have so much in my heart in regards to it that I can hardly type (or maybe its because I've had too much coffee on an empty stomach.. Hmm? Meh, let's go with the former). I've intended for a while to post about all that I have learned through prepping for this milestone. But sometimes expressing things too early robs you of the moment. And I have been cherishing this moment, this season of growth. Suffice it to say, after all is said and done, I am sure there will be multiple posts as I reflect.

But I am honored to participate in this race with my dear and precious friend from seminary, Sara Bieri. She's beautiful, isn't she?



This is a picture of Sara and I with her son, Isaac, on her graduation day.

Sara and I have been blessed to share in many activities together - classes, prayer time, shopping, leading worship as well as school victories and frustrations. She's been a tremendous, life giving friend during my season of life here in Portland. She's one of my best. Words can't describe what she gives to me. :: It's healing :: It's been fun journeying with her, enduring with her, and now we get to share in one more thing: our first half marathon!

We head up to Seattle this Friday - I am leaving work early and gettin' the heck outta dodge! We will spend a whole weekend lollygagging - touring around Seattle, carb loading, resting before the big event and maybe taking a tiny jog. Just to keep the muscles loose. Last weekend we ran 11 miles and we both felt AWESOME afterwards. At a little over a 9 min mile pace, we are sittin' pretty. We are doing this. ;)

o o o o o

WE ARE DOING THIS.

Every few miles I say this to Sara. Breathless and in surprise. She catches her breath and laughs at me ... every time. "Yes, Hannah, we're doing this," She repeats. "We're doing this." I always say it around mile 5 or 6 without fail. Half-way into our run I settle into the notion that I have started something long and tough. I need to make peace with the fact that I have chosen this. Because it won't end until the finish and I gotta keep going. Now that I've started, there can be no stopping. I make this mental adjustment every time we set out. So I say... when my mind starts to waver ... we are doing this. 
To stay focused. To keep believing.

We are doing this, together, Sara and I, as a team. A life-giving team. 

I think on this and the running becomes wonderful, my feet light again.

o o o o o

I cannot wait to tell you all more about how the event goes! It's going to be a blast. I am going to take over Seattle with my energy. I am going to revel in the moment. And then when I come back down from my adrenaline rush, I look forward to sharing what the Lord has revealed to me through it all.

1 comment:

Gioia said...

I just jumped over here to catch up on yer buh-log and saw it was 1/2M time! YEAH for you!!!!!!